The list of potential NFL Hall of Famers originally comprised of 103 nominees. That list was shrunk down to 25 semifinalist back in November of 2018, and shrunk down again earlier this month to make up the 18 finalists under consideration for the class of 2019.
The 15, 2019 Modern-Era Finalists with their positions, years and teams:
- Steve Atwater, Safety – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
- Champ Bailey, Cornerback – 1999-2003 Washington Redskins, 2004-2013 Denver Broncos
- Tony Boselli, Tackle – 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars
- Isaac Bruce, Wide Receiver – 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers
- Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
- Alan Faneca, Guard – 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals
- Tom Flores, Coach – 1979-1987 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-94 Seattle Seahawks
- Tony Gonzalez, Tight End – 1997-2008 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009-2013 Atlanta Falcons
- Steve Hutchinson, Guard – 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans
- Edgerrin James, Running Back – 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks
- Ty Law, Cornerback – 1995-2004 New England Patriots, 2005, 2008 New York Jets, 2006-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009 Denver Broncos
- John Lynch, Free Safety – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
- Kevin Mawae, Center – 1994-97 Seattle Seahawks, 1998-2005 New York Jets, 2006-09 Tennessee Titans
- Ed Reed, Safety – 2002-2012 Baltimore Ravens, 2013 Houston Texans, 2013 New York Jets
- Richard Seymour, Defensive End/Defensive Tackle – 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders
For Champ Bailey, Tony Gonzales, and Ed Reed, this is the first year they are eligible. Tom Flores and Richard Seymour were eligible in previous years but this is the first time they have made the finals.
One Senior Finalist was also announced in August 2018 by the Seniors Committee. Previously known as the old-timer candidate, the Senior Committee reviews the qualifications of players whose careers ended more than 25 years ago. This year’s Senior Finalist is Johnny Robinson, Safety – 1960-1971 Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs.
Two Contributor Finalists were also announced in August. The Hall of Fame’s Contributors Committee considers persons, other than players and coaches, who made outstanding contributions to professional football. This year’s finalists are:
- Pat Bowlen, Owner – 1984-Present Denver Broncos
- Gil Brandt, Vice President of Player Personnel – 1960-1988 Dallas Cowboys; Contributor – 1995-present NFL.com
To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent during the annual selection meeting. The Hall’s Selection Committee will meet on “Selection Saturday” in Atlanta the day before Super Bowl LIII to elect the new class.
More stories you might like